DAK Ministry Update, March 15, 2014
Full to Overflowing! That describes my opportunities in 2014. Trying to keep up with the various engagements is my challenge of the year. In the first three months, this has included – checking for two translation teams, teaching two Bible school courses, fulfilling my responsibilities as member of the ANTBA board, and responding to a growing number of solicitations for counsel and resources in the area of translation training. The rest of this year promises to be just as full. For those interested, see the end of this letter for a chart of these activities.
But before we launch into the next quarter of the year, Daniel and I will be taking a break, a pause from all of these activities in order to rejuvenate ourselves, celebrate, and reconnect with family and with some of you in Ontario. Steve and Linda Weber, who so graciously lent us a car in 2011, cannot do it this time but, instead, they have offered an apartment across the street from their home in the countryside just outside Listowel, Ontario. This will be a perfect and quiet place for R and R! We are so thankful for this opportunity. We did not get around to celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary last year, but Daniel suggested that we wait until this year so we could celebrate my parents’ 60th with them on April 17! All that and the opportunity to meet most of our new grandnieces and nephews (5 out of 6)! So plans are to leave on April 4 and return to Burkina on May 11. We are so thankful that the Canadian government issued Daniel a FIVE year visa, which will allow him to come and go as he wishes!
If you would really like a visit from us either personally or as a church and hear more about how we are doing, please do contact us in the next weeks, so we can include you in our plans. We plan to limit ourselves to visits in Ontario this time.
A few prayer and praise items
- Praise the Lord for all of the opportunities opening up for me. But at the same time I need your prayers for wise management of my time.
Our church finally has a cement floor! Daniel decided it was important enough to go into a little debt and get it done for Christmas. Otherwise we would have a dusty worship service in this dry season.
- Pray especially when I am in checking sessions. It is not easy for translators to have people looking for errors in their work, and requires an extra amount of patience and tact on the part of the consultant doing the checking.
- Thankful that my resources are beginning to be used in places where I have never have been: My power PowerPoint on the Biblical Geography of the Patriarchs was used in a workshop in India, and in Guatemala, workshop participants began translation of Psalms according to my proposed thematic order (See my article on The Thematic Approach to the Translation of Psalms).
- Thankful for a visit from our CTEN pastors, Bob and Barbara Nesbitt, who took time to learn about our work and pray with us. Also thankful that CTEN Canada is providing their members with Evacuation Insurance with no extra charge! Just hope we never need to use it! Unfortunately Daniel does not qualify.
- Thankful for continued health for Daniel and I, but also pray for several persons on both sides of our family who struggle with their health - my father, Daniel's brother Benoit, and two of our daughters-in-law.
- Pray for the ANTBA board which has the huge task of looking for a new director and undertaking an audit in the next few months. At the same time we are expected to give guidance concerning the financial crisis that ANTBA is currently going through.
- Praise that Augustine is near the top of her class in the first of her two year Social Work program! Augustine is the persistent young (orphaned) woman I mentioned in a newsletter a few years ago. She had been failing in her accounting courses, and I suggested helping her get training in an area that she really likes. So she chose Social Work.
Thank-you again for your prayer and financial support. It is always an encouragement to hear from any of you and see new donors and returning donors for our financial support. May you be blessed as we and our ministry have been blessed through you. For those on Facebook, you can follow more frequent updates through our WordShare Prayer Page. It is a closed group, so write me to ask for an invitation.
Anne's work activities:
January - March:
- Taught Historical Geography of the Bible, and Intro to Genesis at Apostolic Mission Bible schools (Daniel's denomination)
- Checked the Gospel of Mark for the Jo language from Mali
- Checked parts of Joshua and Judges for the Ngas language in Nigeria
May - December:
- Teach and check at a workshop on Daniel in Nigeria
- Check the book of Luke with the Siamou translation team
- Teach and check at a workshop on Old Testament selections (to be confirmed)
- Check legal portions of Numbers and Deuteronomy (to be confirmed)
- Teach at an Isaiah workshop (to be confirmed)
- Continue authoring Translator's Notes of 2 Samuel and developing resources
Anne and Daniel Kompaoré
Sharing God's Word through teaching, pastoring, and Bible translation
Commission to Every Nation and Mennonite Mission Network
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com; Skype: annegk1
All Canadian AND American donations are now tax-deductible.
For Financial information and status please see CurrentFinancialStatus.pdf or contact Anne.